Busy Week

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's been a busy week and it's going to get busier at my office. I have to go out of town, lots and lots of paper to be check, books to read, report to make, and so on and so on. I barely have time to put my hand on the shuttle...

But at the end of last week, I did a little experiment in my kitchen. Guess what...I tried to make my own HDT, using a natural coloring, inspired by video I've seen at etatters. It's looked very simple, so I gave it a shot.

This is what I do...

Left picture : In Indonesia, we called it Suji Leaves. It's used to give green color to cake.
Right picture : I crush the leaves, take out the green color of it, and boil it with the thread for about 45 min.

So...How it's turn out you ask? Here it is...taaaa daaaaa.....drum roll please...


I compare the dyed thread with the with one on the ball. Can you see the green color? No? Me neither...hahaha...I totally fail it!!! ^_^

Something is missing...For my first try, I didn't use any (any...) chemical. Simply put salt in it. At last I think salt it's not enough, but I still carry on though...and so that's what happen to my poor steam thread

I have to gather more information about this natural HDT, and meanwhile I think I like to take a shortcut by using fabric coloring which is much simpler.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! Yes, yes, I see the green! Wait...no...it's still white, LOL! What a cute post! Thank you for sharing your experiment in the kitchen! :)

Looking forward to hearing about your "green" dyes!!

Mona said...

very nice I had too laugh because I have done the same!

 
Big World of Tatting. Design by Pocket